Henry Ford

Q. Mr. Ford, the modern assembly lines and automobiles that are currently used in mass production owe you a lot. Can you tell us about your early life as engineer and machinist

A. Although I was born on a farm in Greenfield Township near Detroit, I despised farm work. What I loved in the farm was my mother, and when she died in 1875, I did not see a reason to stay in the farm any longer. This was against my fathers expectations as he expected I would take over the family farm left behind by mother. All along my early life, I had a dream of being an engineer or machinist. In my early teens my father gave me a pocket watch which inspired me more. At the age of fifteen years, I dismantled, and reassembled timepieces of neighbors and friends severally. This gave me a reputation of watch repairer from them. At the age of twenty years, I could walk to Episcopal church on Sundays about four miles away from our farm location. In 1879, I moved to the city of Detroit where I first worked with James F. Flower  Bros as apprentice machinist before I joined the Detroit Dry Dock Company.  In 1882, I returned home and worked on the family farm increasing the knowledge and skills to operate Westinghouse portable steam engine. This made the Westinghouse Company to hire me to service stream engines in the company.

Q. Mr. Ford, you are credited with the invention of automobile and assembly line. Are you the sole inventor of automobile and assembly line development in the world

A. No. Just as it is in other inventions, development of automobiles was made real by several inventors. By 1870s, the concept of developing a horseless carriage was very common, and .many people had attempted to develop steam-powered road vehicles.  I contributed to the technical success of these ideas, and in extending the ideas of road vehicles from using steam as source of power, to use of other sources of power such as internal combustion engine, and electric motors. Through out this invention process, I aimed at transforming the automobile paradigm from few, heavy and hand-built automobiles that were used by rich people only to mass-produced, reliable and lightweight mode of transportation that could be afforded by all working people. Concerning the invention of assembly line, there was a technology development in the 18th century that was characterized by the idea of interchangeable parts. I can only consider to have enhanced its significant success that was marked in the 19th century, because my initial assembly line that used conveyor belts was developed on 1st April 1918, after trials on subassemblies, and immediately after a trial on the entire chassis.

Q. Mr. Ford, why did you decide to dedicate most of your life to the industrial pursuits

A. The conscious decision to dedicate my life to industrial pursuit was signified in 1891 when I started working with Edison Illuminating Company. In 1893, I was promoted to chief engineer in the company. This gave me enough money and time to carry out personal experiments on gasoline engines.  The significance of my experiments came on 4th June 1896 when I completed and test-drove Ford Quadricycle - a self-propelled. The quadricycle was characterized by four wire wheels similar to wheels of heavy bicycles, and tiller as its steering. It had two forward speeds and no reverse. I test-drove the vehicle severally in order to brainstorm .how to improve it. In the same yea, I was introduced to Thomas Edison in during an Edisons executives meeting.  I was encouraged to build a second vehicle in 1898 by Edisons approval of my experimentation. I was backed by William H. Murphy to resign from Edison company, and on 5th August 1899, I founded Detroit Automobile company. The performance of the company did not meet my expectations as it produced low quality and expensive automobiles. The company failed and in 1901 I dissolved it.

Q. Mr. Ford, I understand Ford Motor Company is named after you. Tell us about the company. Did it realize your dreams

A. Ford Motor Company was established after failure of two attempts. Ford Motor Company was established by several investors. The company was incorporated in 1903. I was the chief engineer and vice president of the company. The company was located in Mack Avenue in Detroit, and the factory produced few cars a day. To enhance the productivity of the company, I initiated the wage motive.  In 1914, the wage rate of employees in the company increased by more than double. This was very profitable as the best mechanics in Detroit brought their expertise and human capital in the company. The cost of training was reduced, while the productivity increased significantly.
 I realized my dream of producing an efficient, reliable band reasonably priced automobile in 1908 with the invention of Model T, as it introduced a new personal transportation era. The vehicle was a huge success as it was easy to handle even on rough roads, maintain and operate. By the year 1918, most of the vehicles used in America were Model T. to meet the high demand for the cars a large factory was opened in Highland Park in 1910. in this factory, I combined standardized interchangeable parts, precision manufacturing and continuous moving assembly line and labor.

Q. Mr. Ford, what are your concerns about labor. And what are your opinions towards labor unions

A. I value efficiency in labor and low labor turnover. To me this means hiring and maintaining the best workers for the company. To emphasize on, competent workers I designed the welfare capitalism which involved providing welfare-like services to my workers as a way of improving them, and to reduce the heavy turnover in many departments. In 5th January 1914, I established and announced revolutionary program of 5 per day. This increased the minimum daily pay of qualified workers, and it reduced the workweek. This reduced the labor turnover in the company significantly.

Labor unions are unyielding. Unions are influenced by leaders who use their good motives to harm workers. The fact that unions restrict productivity as a way of creating employment is self-defeating to me because productivity is a necessity for economic prosperity.  To hinder union activities in the company, I authorized Bennett -the head of service department to squash organizing of unions through intimidation tactics.

Q. Mr. Ford, the World War occurred when your motor company had gained significant production momentum. What were your thoughts towards the War

A. I did not like the War as it was a waste of precious time of making things. I was critical to people who supported the War financially. I made all I could to stop people from financing the War. In 1915 the World War was raging in Europe. I funded a Rosika Schwimmmer peace ship to Europe. This involved other leaders. I also accompanied my Episcopalian pastor on his mission to preach peace. Although I talked with President Wilson, he did not give us government support in our mission, but we went ahead. I organized groups to meet peace activists in Netherlands and neutral Sweden. My efforts were ridiculed almost every where. During the peace mission in Sweden, I was the target of ridicule. This made me to leave the ship immediately after its arrival in Sweden. My efforts to stop war failed as the European nations continued to spread lies claiming that when the United states entered the War later in 1917, I took part and sold munitions.

Q. Mr. Ford, can you tell us about your international relations

A. I maintained a philosophy of economic independence for United States. River Rouge Plant - one of the pants in my company became largest industrial complex in the world.  Its vertical integration was so great that it was capable of producing steel for its own use. I aimed at producing a complete vehicle without relying on foreign trade, and to expand my company globally.  I advocate for international trade and cooperation as the keys to international peace.  In 1911, I established Ford assembly plants in Canada and Britain and in 1912 I launched the first automotive assembly plant in Italy through cooperation with Fiat and Agnelli.  In 1920s, I opened plants in Germany, France, India, and Australia such that by1929 dealership in six continents was a success. This made the commerce department and other leaders to buy my theory that international trade facilitated internal peace. By 31st may 1929, a technical agreement between Ford Motor Company, Soviet controlled Amtorg Trading Corporation and VSNH was signed. This allowed Ford Company to practice business activities in all nations that had peaceful diplomatic relations with United States such as Australia, Mexico, Britain, South Africa, Argentina, India, brazil, Europe and Canada. By 1932, a third of the worlds automobiles was being produces Ford Company.

Q. Mr. Ford, I understand you participated in racing sports. Tell us about your thoughts concerning racing sports.

A. From 1901-1913, I maintained an interest in auto racing. I was involved in the racing sport as a builder, driver, and hired driver. I finished first in the Model Ts races, covering 1.6 km and oval speed record at Fairgrounds in Detroit in 1909. I dropped pout of racing when the rules put me out in the Indianapolis 500.  although I was not satisfied by the rule, I racing was not a worthwhile activity, and a lot of my time was required by the booming production of Model T. I participated in racing because between 1890s and 1990s, many people thought racing was the only way an automobile could be proved worth. I was determined that if this was the only way to determine my success, I would race with all my cars to ensure they were the best in the racing thus the most worth cars in the world.
Q. Mr. Ford, apart from automobile company is there any other businesses that you ventured in
A. Yes. During the World war 1, I entered the aviation business. In the business, I built liberty engines which I returned to auto manufacturing before I owned the Stout Metal Airplane Company in 1925. Ford 4AT Trimotor that was characterized by corrugated metal construction was my most successful aircraft. I had made it from a new alloy (Alclad) of aluminum because it is resistant to corrosion and duralumin because it is a very strong metal. The plane flew in 11th June 1926 for the first time, and this marked the first passenger airplane to fly successfully in the United States. Trimotor accommodated about twelve passengers. Before the airline was discontinued in 1933, about two hundred Trimotors were already developed and in use. The Airplane company was closed in the great depression era as a result of poor sales. Institutions such as Smithsonian institutions honored me for my influence in transformation of aviation industry.

Q. Mr. Ford, tell us about the Dearborn independent for Ford.

A.   The Dearborn independent for Ford was a weekly magazine that was published by my closest aide and secretary from 1919 to 1927. The newspaper was characterized by its sensationalist content and publication of protocols of the elders of Zion. I negotiated to buy the newspaper in 1918 from Marcus Woodruff who was running the newspaper the previous years at no profit. The Historical Society of American Jewish considered the paper to be anti-Semitic, anti-labor, and anti-liquor, but I considered the protocols to align with that were happening during that period. I stopped printing the independent in 1927 after the organizer of Jewish farm and San Francisco lawyer brought me a libel lawsuit for making anti-Semitic remarks. The news at that time reported I was aware of the anti-Semitic remarks but I pretended to be shocked by the content. The truth is, I did not make the remarks, I did not approve for the publication and I was not informed on the content of the magazine. However, I apologized.

0 comments:

Post a Comment