New Deal

All deal with specific Programs created during the New Deal to create jobs. These programs also did much more in the areas of conservation, electrification, and preservation. Please take a look at the three programs. If you lived in the 1930s, which would havemost interesting to you and why

 I think it would be a real cool experience working with the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) for several reasons Being able to travel to new places and meet new people. Being able to make a difference, and start new things. The CCC was designed to aid the unemployed as a result of the Great Depression. Also at the same time, being a natural resources conservation program on Federal and state land, planting trees, picking up trash, and getting rid of water pollution. The public really liked the CCC because they provided economic relief, war rehabilitation for men, and work programs like reforestation. But unfortunately Congress Terminated the CCC on June 30th 1942 (Online Highways LLC).

I believe the CCC was a worthwhile effort and I understood why this program was implemented.  It did not only provide jobs for unemployed people like me, it also made me become more aware of the environment and I welcomed the opportunity it provided me in getting out of my miserable life in the city.  Working outside the city helped me appreciate nature even more and made me forget I was poor and miserable.  I appreciated the efforts President Roosevelt did on my behalf and I feel sorry that those in Europe did not follow our lead and instead chose aggression to solve the same problem we had.

I would have been interested in the Civilian Conservation Corps, even though I wouldn t have been able to join because I am a woman. For the young men that joined the CCC they were given great opportunities while they helped to battle the destruction of natural resources. I don t know what the reality of working for the CCC was but it sounded like it was appreciated by many and was a great success. I personally would have liked to be in a camp in Hawaii. The men of the CCC accomplished many successful revitalization projects such as planting an estimated 3 billion trees from 1933-1942, responsible for more than half of the private and public reforestation in the nation s history, improved forest activity, flood control, fire protection, and overall community safety. Along with the opportunity to travel workers with the CCC were able to receive vocational training and additional education. I would have liked to have been a part of an organization that game me opportunities and also accomplished so much good for the land.

It appears as though one of the limitations of the CCC was that it did not include women as part of the workforce here.  Although it was admirable on what it did for providing men with meaningful employment, should have taken women into consideration.  Women, particularly American women, were fast becoming a force to reckon with in society.  They were gradually gaining more rights and it was certain that they had earned the right to take part in it, not because they wished to invoke their gender but to prove they were also part of society and that they could also contribute to rebuilding a financially-crippled nation.

Pretend that you are the person involved in one of the following scenarios (of your choice).  Write a short letter using the language that you think the person would use.  You don t have to be formal, have fun (for this scenario, I select a young urban male applying for the CCC).

To whom it may concern
I would like to express my intention of taking part in the Civilian Conservation Corps the moment I have heard of it.

I have lost my job recently as an accountant and I have fallen on hard times and I thought I have lost all hope of getting another job.  When I heard of this program, I have decided to give it a try even though the jobs involved would be outside my specialization.  I am hard-working and open-minded.  Even though the job offered is different, I am willing to learn whatever job you would assign me to do and I can assure you that I am a fast learner.

I welcome the opportunity it brings as well as the challenges I face.  I have always wanted to travel to the countryside and I consider this a welcome break from the usual life I live in the city where I wake up every morning to the smell of smoke from factories and the noise of traffic as well as neighbors yelling and the rowdiness of kids playing in the streets.  I welcome the prospects of waking up breathing the cool clean air of the countryside and to be able to relax and feel at ease in the quiet atmosphere it provides.

I am confident I will be a valuable member of the group and to do my part in helping restore our country back to its place as a strong and prosperous nation as well as to help preserve our environment, something people in the cities seem to forget and I am hoping I can impart this experience when I return to the city and probably encourage others to do the same in caring for our environment because I believe this is part of our heritage.

I am hoping for your favorable response in the matter.  Thank you.
Sincerely,
John Doe

0 comments:

Post a Comment